Content Protection and Litigation
Wiggin’s top tier content protection team has decades of experience advising film, TV, print and online content providers on risk, clearing rights and resolving related disputes.
Our clients include all of the US major and mini-major studios, UK broadcasters and producers, publishing houses of all sizes, financiers and distributors, and national and regional newspapers and magazines. Our team provides practical, commercial advice informed by its wealth of experience and close working relationship with our chosen industries.
We advise clients from the early stages of projects on general risk profile and on specific issues that are causing concern, for example, identifying defamation, privacy and personal data risks and content clearance issues. And because our clients operate in a global market, we frequently advise our media clients on issues involving multiple jurisdictions, often working closely with preferred local lawyers in the US and globally.
When it comes to post-production/ publication, our team is made up of seasoned litigators who have defended clients in many of the ground-breaking format rights, defamation and privacy claims of recent years.
This is what the independent directories say:
“completely delightful to deal with but lethally dangerous for the opposition”
“really experienced, demonstrating good judgment, good on strategy and knows the law well”
“…cutting through the noise and confusion to head off problems before they become very serious”.
We also advise clients on regulatory matters involving Ofcom and the ASA and proceedings under the BCAP, CAP and Editors’ codes of conduct. With the introduction of the European production quotas under the AVMS Directive, we are increasingly called upon to provide pan-European clearance and production dispute advice.
Pre-acquisition / pre-production / pre-publication
- Identifying defamation, privacy and personal data risks
- Special exemption from the requirements of the GDPR
- ‘Life rights’, ‘image rights’, trade marks and related advice
- Chain of title opinions
- Advice on use of underlying works and potential ownership/authorship disputes
- Contract disputes
- E&O insurance advice and opinions
- Breach of confidence, contempt of court and reporting restrictions advice
- Defending prior–restraint injunctions
- Protecting against leaks of content prior to release or sale
- Screenplay, manuscript and copy reads and late amendments
- Props and product placement advice
- Advice on negative checks and title reports
- Disputes regarding talent (such as non-use, non-availability), locations and equipment
- Coordination of clearances across Europe
Post-production / post-publication
- Cease and desist actions
- Defending defamation, privacy and personal data claims
- Authorship and ownership disputes, including advice on ‘fair-dealing’
- ‘Theft of ideas’ claims and format rights
- Audit claims
- Passing off and false endorsement claims
- Promotion and marketing claims
- Responding to regulators
- Advice on terminating contracts and related disputes
- Distribution disputes
- Insolvency disputes