Ted is a partner with over 20 years’ experience who heads Wiggin’s Brussels office. He is a recognised expert in international and European copyright law assisting clients on issues related to policy, litigation, compliance and commercial matters. He is also experienced in managing campaigns to influence regulation as well as helping organisations and companies navigate the legislative and regulatory environment at the international, EU and Member State levels.
Ted joined Wiggin in January 2013 from the Motion Picture Association in Brussels, where he was the General Counsel for Europe. In addition to overseeing the operation of a multi-jurisdictional litigation and compliance programme, Ted was in charge of the provision of legal services to senior MPA executives and the MPA’s member studios related to intellectual property, new media, collective management, audiovisual regulation, competition, trade and data protection issues.
In 2011, Ted co-published a book on copyright law entitled Copyright in the Information Society: A Guide to National Implementation of the European Directive. He has also written numerous articles on copyright issues including on recent judgments of the Court of Justice of the EU.
Ted is admitted to the bar of Massachusetts, the Brussels Bar and a solicitor in England and Wales.
- Advising several clients including an international media company, a major trade association and an independent producer/distributor on a range of issues related to copyright reform in the EU and the UK.
- Advising an independent film production company on the sale of its ‘audiovisual secondary rights’ in the films in its famous library.
- Advising a major trade association on US and EU compliance with the recently agreed WIPO Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances.
- Providing detailed advice on the recently adopted EU Collective Rights Management and its impact on non-EU entities for a trade association representing indie producers.
- Advising a major studio on potential causes of action against unlicensed OTT services across the EU.
- Advising a major studio on the jurisdictional issues related to sending takedown notices to websites hosting or providing links to infringing content.
- Advising a major studio on its response to inquiries from the French technological measures authority, HADOPI.
- Assisting a special effects studio resolve an issue related to state aid for a training programme.
- Preparing a survey on the protection of broadcasters’ rights in 30 countries for a trade association representing broadcasters in North America.