Anna is considered one of the ‘go to’ lawyers for trade mark, designs and copyright disputes and strategic advice in the UK and Europe. For many years she has been ranked by legal directories as a leader in the intellectual property field and in the top tier for trade mark litigation, and has been described as “head and shoulders above the competition” (WTR 1000).
Having worked in the IP field for over 30 years, including as a solicitor, barrister, solicitor-advocate and ‘neutral’, Anna’s cases have taken her through the UKIPO, EUIPO, IP Enterprise Court, High Court, Court of Appeal, General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union. She has experience of urgent ex parte applications, interim injunctions, multi-jurisdictional litigation and complex appeals, but she does her best to help clients resolve their disputes outside court whenever she can.
Anna works with clients spanning a wide range of industries and professions including pharmaceuticals, software, consumer electronics, food and drink, luxury goods, personal care, office products, entertainment and financial services. In addition to her busy litigation practice, Anna advises across a wide range of topics, including brand and design clearances, litigation tactics and strategy and dispute avoidance, and provides opinions (including second and expert opinions) on matters of English and EU law.
Having been an Appointed Person (hearing trade mark appeals from the UKIPO) for over 7 years (2007-15) and a Nominet DRS Expert since 2004, Anna has considerable experience of acting in a judicial and quasi-judicial capacity. She is also an experienced CEDR-accredited mediator.
Anna is currently Counsel to INTA (2018-19) and has previously been a member of the Board of Directors of INTA (2012-2014), having chaired INTA’s Unfair Competition Committee (2016-17) as well as being on its Brexit Taskforce. She is also a member of AIPPI, ECTA, PTMG and an Associate Member of CITMA and CIPA. She is on the editorial boards of the European Trade Mark Reports and the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, and enjoys giving talks and writing articles about topical issues in intellectual property law. Most recently (August 2018), Anna has contributed a chapter to the book ‘Mediation: Creating Value in International Intellectual Property Disputes‘ which discusses the role of mediation within IP disputes.
Anna joined Wiggin in November 2017 as part of the merger into the firm of the team from IP boutique, Redd. She previously practised as an independent barrister at Wilberforce Chambers, in addition to having been Head of the London IP group at Linklaters in the early noughties.
- Acting for a well-known ice cream brand in connected EUIPO and IP Enterprise Court proceedings for trade mark infringement and passing off, including appearing as advocate in a strike-out application.
- Representing Gilead in revocation and invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO.
- Assisting 3M in a successful anti-counterfeiting operation to stop the distribution of fake 3M PPS (Paint Preparation System) products.
- Advising innovative Peruvian restaurant chain, Ceviche, on brand protection and strategy.
- Acting for a US video games publisher in a High Court action for copyright and trade mark infringement, passing off and malicious falsehood.
- Representing Gucci in revocation proceedings concerning its iconic “GG” logo, on appeal from the UK IPO (Gerry Weber International BV v Guccio Gucci SpA).
- Acting for Microsoft in the High Court in a trade mark infringement and passing off case brought by British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc against the use of the name ‘SkyDrive’ for a cloud storage service (British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc v Microsoft Corporation).
- Representing the estate of a well-known British artist in a copyright infringement claim against a large multinational high street business.
- Advising luxury haircare brand, Moroccanoil, in a series of disputes (both in and out of court) with entities dealing in counterfeits and lookalike products.
- Advising NCJ Media in relation to oppositions in the UK IPO and the EUIPO against News Group relating to the title for the Sunday edition of The Sun newspaper (ncjMedia v News Group).
- Representing a well-known drinks brand in multiple invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO and the General Court, and co-ordinating these with infringement proceedings in Scotland.