Anna is considered one of the ‘go to’ lawyers for contentious trade mark, designs and copyright work in the UK and Europe. For many years she has been ranked by legal directories as a leader in the intellectual property field and in the top tier for trade mark litigation, and has been described as “head and shoulders above the competition” (WTR 1000).
Anna has unparalleled experience gained from 30 years in practice as a solicitor, barrister and solicitor-advocate. Her cases have taken her through the UK IPO, the EUIPO, the IP Enterprise Court, the High Court, the Court of Appeal, the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union and have included urgent ex parte applications, interim injunctions and multi-jurisdictional litigation and complex appeals.
Anna works with clients spanning a wide range of industries and professions including pharmaceuticals, software, consumer electronics, food and drink, luxury goods, personal care, office products, entertainment and insurance. In addition to her busy litigation practice, Anna regularly advises across a wide range of topics, including brand and design clearances, litigation tactics and strategy and dispute avoidance, and provides opinions (including second and expert opinions) on matters of English and EU law.
Having been an Appointed Person for over 7 years (2007-15) and a Nominet DRS Expert since 2004, Anna has considerable experience of acting in a judicial and quasi-judicial capacity. She is also an experienced CEDR-accredited mediator.
Anna has been a member of the Board of Directors of INTA (2012-2014), and chairs INTA’s Unfair Competition Committee (2016-17) as well as being on its Brexit Rapid Response Group. She is also a member of AIPPI, ECTA, PTMG and an Associate Member of CITMA and CIPA. She is on the editorial boards of the European Trade Mark Reports and the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, and enjoys giving talks and writing articles about topical issues in intellectual property law.
Prior to joining Wiggin Anna was a partner at Redd, having previously practised as an independent barrister at Wilberforce Chambers, in addition to having been Head of the London IP group at Linklaters.
- Acting for a well-known ice cream brand in connected EUIPO and IP Enterprise Court proceedings for trade mark infringement and passing off, including appearing as advocate in a strike-out application.
- Representing Gilead in revocation and invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO.
- Assisting 3M in a successful anti-counterfeiting operation to stop the distribution of fake 3M PPS (Paint Preparation System) products.
- Advising innovative Peruvian restaurant chain, Ceviche, on brand protection and strategy.
- Acting for a US video games publisher in a High Court action for copyright and trade mark infringement, passing off and malicious falsehood.
- Representing Gucci in revocation proceedings concerning its iconic “GG” logo, on appeal from the UK IPO (Gerry Weber International BV v Guccio Gucci SpA).
- Acting for Microsoft in the High Court in a trade mark infringement and passing off case brought by British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc against the use of the name ‘SkyDrive’ for a cloud storage service (British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc v Microsoft Corporation).
- Representing the estate of a well-known British artist in a copyright infringement claim against a large multinational high street business.
- Advising luxury haircare brand, Moroccanoil, in a series of disputes (both in and out of court) with entities dealing in counterfeits and lookalike products.
- Advising Trinity Mirror’s regional newspaper business in relation to oppositions in the UK IPO and the EUIPO against News Group relating to the title for the Sunday edition of The Sun newspaper (ncjMedia v News Group).
- Representing a well-known drinks brand in multiple invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO and the General Court, and co-ordinating these with infringement proceedings in Scotland.
- Obtaining an interim injunction to prevent further sales of a ‘lookalike’ soft drink.