+44 (0)20 7612 9612
January 13, 2020
Ofcom has published its proposed 2020/21 Plan of Work for consultation, outlining its priorities for the next financial year.
Ofcom says that it wants “to make sure that people and businesses in the UK get the best from their communications services”. The proposed plan highlights Ofcom’s major work areas for the financial year 2020/21, based on the following strategic priorities:
- better broadband and mobile: Ofcom will support ongoing investment in faster broadband and better mobile coverage across the country;
- fairness for customers: Ofcom will ensure broadband, phone and TV customers, particularly vulnerable people, are treated fairly;
- supporting UK broadcasting: Ofcom will support the UK’s vibrant broadcasting sectors, including public service broadcasting, to deliver continued benefits to all UK audiences;
- ensuring online communications work for people and businesses: Ofcom will work with the Government on new and emerging policies protecting people from harmful content online, and more generally ensure communications services online work for consumers;
- enabling strong, secure networks: continuing to collaborate with industry to ensure the UK’s networks are secure, resilient and protected against cyber-attacks and outages;
Ofcom encourages anyone with an interest in its work to respond to the consultation by 25 February 2020. The full plan is set for release in March 2020.
Ofcom is also holding a series of public events to gain direct feedback on its proposed plan. These free events are open to all and are taking place in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. For further information and to access the Plan of Work, click here.