October 19, 2020
The Government has announced that more than 1,300 arts and cultural organisations are benefitting from a share of £257 million as part of a vital financial boost from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund. Organisations that applied for grants under £1 million in the first round of the Culture Recovery Fund have been informed of their awards by Arts Council England, which is distributing funding on behalf of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
The Government says that the allocation is the biggest tranche of funding distributed to date from the Culture Recovery Fund, bringing the total amount of grant funding awarded so far to more than £360 million. Further funding for organisations is due to be announced in the coming days and weeks.
The Government says that the funding will help 1,385 theatres, galleries, performance groups, arts organisations, museums and local venues survive the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. It will boost iconic organisations and venues known around the world, such as the London Symphony Orchestra, the Bristol Old Vic Theatre and Liverpool’s Cavern Club. It will also protect hundreds of local organisations that have launched many stars of the British cultural scene and sit at the heart of their communities. This includes the Finborough Theatre in Earl’s Court, London, Beamish Living Museum in County Durham, the Northcott Theatre in Exeter, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield, and The Young Vic in London.
The funding will also help allow performances to restart, venues to plan for reopening and help protect jobs and create opportunities for freelancers. To read the Government’s press release in full, click here.