Simon is widely acclaimed for his expertise in transactions involving a significant intellectual property component, including licensing, technology transfer, franchising, e-commerce and distribution deals both in the UK and internationally. He also regularly advises on contractual disputes arising from IP and technology transactions as well as competition law issues relating to commercial agreements.
He works with a broad range of brand and innovation-led businesses including fashion, personal care, consumer goods, engineering and software. Much of his work has an international element.
He is known for his highly commercial, down to earth approach. He is ranked as a leader in the field for transactional intellectual property work in the legal directories. Reporters have commented that “his reports are crystal clear and his commercial advice is bang on. He always knows the best strategy for moving forward.”
Simon is currently Vice President of the Licensing Executive Society Britain & Ireland.
Prior to joining Wiggin Simon was at Redd, where he was one of the founding partners, having originally trained and been a partner at Gouldens.
Brands and design
- Licensing and merchandising transactions both in the UK and internationally across a diverse range of product categories including, for example: clothing, footwear, toys, lingerie, books, games, homeware, eyewear, sporting goods, cosmetics and perfumes.
- Brand protection strategies and other brand-related issues including: comparative advertising, product and event sponsorship and personality rights.
- Design protection and enforcement strategies and advice as well as contractual arrangements with designers.
- International retail franchising and area development transactions particularly in the fashion/luxury goods and restaurant industries.
Patent, technology and software
- Patent and technology licensing across a diverse range of innovation.
- Software licensing and development contracts; service agreements including ‘software as a service’ agreements.
- Advising on UK and EU Competition law issues as they affect intellectual property licensing and other commercial transactions.
- Simon has considerable legal experience in the computer games sector spanning more than 15 years having acted on numerous game development, licensing and distribution deals as well as advising on numerous infringement and other IP specific issues concerning game content and other issues of importance in computer games development and publishing.
Distribution, sales, marketing and ecommerce
- Advising on trading contracts including supply, distribution (including selective distribution) and agency contracts, terms of business and issues relating to advertising and sales promotions.
- Advising on all legal aspects of e-commerce including drafting and advising on e-commerce terms of sale and service, privacy and data protection policies.