February 22, 2021
Ofcom has announced its first ever awards of small-scale radio multiplex licences. Ofcom explains that small-scale DAB is an innovative technology that provides a low-cost route for local commercial, community and specialist music stations to take to the airwaves.
Last year, Ofcom set out how it would license small-scale DAB and invited applications for a first round of multiplex licences. Following a competitive process, where each applicant was judged against specific criteria, licences have been awarded in five areas:
- Derry/Londonderry to Foyle DAB Ltd;
- Glasgow to Nation Digital Investments Ltd;
- Salisbury to Muxcast One Ltd;
- Tynemouth & South Shields to Mux One Ltd; and
- Welsh Valleys to GTFM (South Wales) Ltd
Ofcom will publish award statements for these licences in due course.
Further licence awards for the remaining 20 areas advertised in Round One will be announced over the coming weeks. To read Ofcom’s press release in full, click here.