Anna is a legal director (partner equivalent position) in the Litigation group. She joined Wiggin in 2000 and specialises in defence work for the media.
Her practice covers all aspects of commercial media litigation: contractual disputes, copyright and ‘format rights’ infringement, data protection, FOIA requests, defamation, misuse of private information, breach of confidence, false endorsement, contempt and obscenity. She also has considerable experience of advising on regulatory issues (OFCOM, ASA and the Editors’ Code).
Her first love is pre-publication and broadcast work and she provides round the clock advice for film, TV productions and many of the country’s favourite magazine brands. She carries out legal reads for film scripts and books and gives production advice for our film and TV clients.
She is a member of the Society of Editors, Media Law Resource Centre and Media Society.
- HM Attorney General v The Condé Nast Publications Ltd. Acted for the respondent to an application for committal for contempt in relation to a GQ article
- Mensah (T/A 37 Days 3 Hours 9 Minutes Creative) v Darroch & 8 Ors. Acted for Shine group, Channel Four and Princess Productions in the successful defence of a claim for dishonesty and conspiracy relating to format rights
- Caborn-Waterfield v (1) Jacqueline Gold (2) Random House Group Ltd. Defended a libel claim relating to Jacqueline Gold’s autobiographies
- Morris v Times Newspapers Ltd. Defended a libel claim relating to an interview with Dr Brooke Magnanti (Belle de Jour)
- Richard Desmond v Tom Bower. Defended author Tom Bower and HarperCollins in a defamation claim re his book Conrad and Lady Black: Dancing on the Edge
- OFCOM – Marjan Television Network. Acted for the broadcaster on a fairness complaint regarding ‘Come Dine With Me’
- Universal Studios International BV v Flextech Rights Ltd. Represented Living TV on the early termination of a Dutch law ‘run of the series’ deal for The Jerry Springer Show
- Professor Tonmoy Sharma v (1) Peter Jay (2) Frank Wells (3) Medico-Legal Investigations Ltd. Defended a slander action and brought a libel action in relation to the work of the Defendants in investigating the Claimant’s conduct in the course of clinical research.
- Kate Moss v Channel 5 Broadcasting Ltd. Defended a libel action in relation to the programme ‘The Truth About Kate Moss’ on the basis of justification
- UK Channel Management Ltd V (1) E! Entertainment Television Inc (2) E Entertainment UK Ltd. Acted for the Claimants in a trade mark infringement and passing off claim
- Lakah Group v Al Jazeera Satellite Channel. Acted for the Defendant in the disposal of libel proceedings and an application to commit for contempt
- Jamil Dehlavi v (1) Orion Books Ltd (2) Sir Christopher Lee. Acting for the Defendants in a libel action arising out of Sir Christopher’s autobiography
- Nicole Appleton & Liam Gallagher v Emap Elan Ltd. Acted for the Defendant in a breach of contract/false endorsement claim
- Dyson Limited v Which? Limited. Represented Which? in defence of an application for pre-action disclosure of test information