Ross is a partner in the content distribution and transmission group and head of the firm’s sport group. He acts for a number of leading broadcasters, distribution platforms and blue chip media businesses; providing advice in relation to the distribution of channels and programming via traditional broadcast means such as satellite, cable and DTT and the exploitation of content across more nascent internet and mobile platforms. Ross has also developed a particular specialism in relation to the creation, acquisition and exploitation of sports media and data rights.
In addition, he advises on the end-to-end chain of transmission, negotiating arrangements with the technical service providers who provide the processes, infrastructure and delivery systems for the distribution of channels and content as well as with the sales houses and media agencies who sell the advertising around this content.
- Acting for Virgin Media in relation to its recent high profile distribution deals with BSkyB and BT Sport;
- Advising Manchester United in relation to the international distribution of MUTV;
- Advising News UK and News Corp in relation to the acquisition of premium sports clip rights for exploitation in the UK and Asia;
- Advising Perform Group on sports rights acquisitions in a variety of territories (including its global rights deal with the WTA (described as the largest deal in the history of women’s sport)) and on its arrangements with Football DataCo for the collection and supply of football data to betting customers worldwide; and
- Advising Lebara on the launch of its new multi-territory OTT service, Lebara Play.